Updated: Mar 8, 2022
From my experience, these are the best areas to stay in:
1. Sant Antoni - this neighbourhood was where I stayed during my three month stay in Barcelona and I absolutely loved it. I always felt safe, there were many bars, restaurants and cafes close by and it was a short metro ride to the main tourist areas such as Las Ramblas and Placa de Catalunya.
2. Poble Sec - this neighbourhood is next to Sant Antoni and is home to the best tapas street in Barcelona, Carrer de Blai. Here, you will find many tapas restaurants which serve the famous pinchos which you can enjoy amongst the many local people who come to this street every night for tapas!
3. La Sagrada Familia - the La Sagrada Familia neighbourhood is part of the Eixample district. As La Sagrada Familia is in the heart of the neighbourhood, there are many tourists but on the whole it is a fairly quiet residential area with lots to see and do.
4. Gracia - this neighbourhood is one of the safest in Barcelona as well as being a creative hub of the city. You'll also find lots of unique bars and restaurants including my favourite cuban bar called Gracia Latina!
5. Poblenou - this neighbourhood is known as the coolest neighbourhood in Barcelona! Located in the north of Barcelona, is has become an increasingly popular area for locals to live as well as tourists to visit.
Places to avoid:
El Raval - this neighbourhood has got the reputation as Barcelona's most dangerous neighbourhood. El Raval has high crime rates so beware of pickpockets!
La Barceloneta - although a great area to visit, La Barceloneta is a very touristy and busy area so I'd recommend staying somewhere else in the city and coming to visit La Barceloneta for the day!
Check out my Barcelona daily vlogs here ⤵️